Bill & Hold is a feature that allows you to account for purchased stock of an item that is not immediately delivered to your physical store. In some cases, Vendors may Bill the customer and then Hold the product by the customer's request so it can be released later to the customer at their discretion. Ordering with Bill & Hold allows customers to monitor these transactions to order/invoice items into Bill & Hold quantity separate from your theoretical quantity and order/invoice out of Bill & Hold to release that quantity into your theoretical quantity. See "Setting Up Bill & Hold" for further information on configuring your system for Bill & Hold.
Ordering through Bill & Hold
- Click Orders > Order Form from the navigation menu.
- Locate the desired item then click the + icon to the far right.
If you select a purchase unit that has been selected as Bill & Hold you will be able to choose between two options:
Order to Bill & Hold or Release from Bill & Hold.
Selecting Order to Bill & Hold indicates that the quantity on the order for this item will be added to your Bill & Hold quantity (separated in quotations when viewing the inventory page).
Selecting Release from Bill & Hold indicates that you are releasing Bill & Hold quantity that already exists (Available on Hold in the order form for the purchase unit), to be moved from your Bill & Hold quantity to your theoretical quantity.
*Please note* Any order created using Bill & Hold purchase units can only use other Bill & Hold purchase units for that vendor order.
You can determine which orders are Bill & Hold at a glance since they will always have either "Order to" or "Release from" B&H in the Status tag. Additionally, orders that are selected as “Release from Bill & Hold” will always have a $0 total, as they have previously been purchased via an order and invoice to Bill & Hold.
Receiving through Bill & Hold after creating the order
- Click Orders > Orders from the navigation menu.
- Select the placed order listed as "Order to Bill & Hold" then click Receive Order.
- Enter the invoice details from the vendor including the Invoice date, Received Date, Invoice Number and Amount. Then Select Receive Order once more to create the invoice for the Bill & Hold order.
- Reconcile the invoice and click Approve Invoice.
- Once the invoice has been generated, you should see the Bill & Hold inventory separate from your theoretical inventory on the inventory page.
Keep in mind, this interaction will happen at least twice. Once when you Order to Bill & Hold and at least once when you Release from Bill & Hold depending on how much you are releasing on each invoice. Every time you create an invoice to release from Bill & Hold the quantity in parentheses will be moved to your theoretical inventory.