The Portions feature in Craftable allows you to set up the items you purchase from your vendors as well as the items that you portion out of that purchased item. Once set up you can track your portioning events to add to the In Stock of your portioned items, while depleting from the In Stock of the raw good you purchased from your vendor.
Please note: To have this functionality activated for your account please contact Craftable Support on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure the item you buy from your vendor exists as an item on the system. (So create a New Item if needed.) This would be the item that you plan to portion.
- Create the Portioned Items as Item Type “Portioned” at Director.
These are the items you create out of the raw item you purchase from your vendor.
Note: You’ll be able to inventory these items, but you cannot purchase them from any vendors. You will not have a Purchases tab on Portioned items.
- Do Store Sync
- From each store go to Inventory > Portions > +New Portion. Select the raw item that you purchase from your vendor in the Item field, and then below select the Portioned Items that can be created out of it. Click Save.
- To enter an instance of Portioning click the plus (+) sign at the right of the item.
- In the popup fill out all requested fields:
- Portion Date: The data the portioning took place - this impacts your theoretical inventory
- Employee: Which staff member did the portioning? You can type in any name or select a name from the dropdown of anyone who has previously been entered as a portioning employee.
- Starting Weight: What did the item weigh initially, before portioning? This is how much total will be subtracted from the theoretical inventory of the item.
- Trimmed Weight: What is the total weight of the item once all trimmings that are thrown away are removed?
- Actual Qty: Here just click on the “0.00” to enter the total weight of each portioned item. You should enter the quantity in the count unit of each portioned item. (So if the row is by the ounce enter how many ounces you portioned, if it’s by pound enter the pounds, etc…) The system will sum this up to give you a total portioned weight.
Tuna that is purchased by the whole fish, and then portioned into Tuna Sashimi and Tuna Tartar.
Step 1: Ensure the item you buy from your vendor exists first as an Inventory Item:
Step 2: Create Portioned Items
Step 3: Do a Store Sync - in the navigation bar at the left click Store Sync > Sync Stores.
Step 4: Within each store go to Inventory > Portions > + New Portion and set up the portion. The item you purchase from your vendor goes at the top, and the portioned items are selected within the table below.
- Click the plus sign to the right of the item on the Portions page (under Inventory header).
- Enter details of the portioning event and click Save.
From the Portions tab you will notice that there is an option to look at History, as shown in the screenshot below:
By selecting History, you can get insights of when the portioning occurred, the name of the portion, the employee who portioned that day, Quality %, Trimmed Yield %, and Final Yield %.
You can click on the little question mark with a bubble next to Portion History to see how we calculate the percentage fields listed above.
How does this impact pricing? The price of the portion updates each time you portion the item. So if the raw item’s price increased today but you aren’t doing portioning until next week, the portioned items will retain their old inventory value until you do another round of portioning, at which point they will get a nice value based on the Count Unit Price of the raw item they’re made out of.